Dr. Beth Barba (Nursing) received funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) for the project “Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Project 4.” It will develop and implement continuing education programs related to non-phamacologic intervention strategies for geriatric care to interdisciplinary health personnel, families and communities who are responsible for the health care of elderly individuals in culturally, linguistically, socio-economically and geographically diverse backgrounds. The program content addresses dementia behaviors, health-related quality of life, mental health and mental disorders, nutrition and weight loss, and sleep health. Research shows that increasing the use of non-pharmacologic intervention strategies can result in improved quality of life, decreased hospitalizations, and decreased use of psychoactive medications, all of which improve elder health outcomes. Programs will be taught in education venues and health facilities in NC and online learning through collaboration with the Area Health Education Centers, Carolina Geriatric Education Center, and the UNCG School of Nursing. Suzanne Fitzsimmons, Tom McCoy, and Dr. Jie Hu are also involved in the project.
Campus Weekly is published each Wednesday when classes are in session. In the summer, it is published biweekly.
Faculty Senate meeting
Wednesday, Oct. 7, 3 p.m., Alumni House
Staff Senate meeting, with Chancellor Gilliam
Thursday, Oct. 8, Alumni House, 10 a.m.
Talk, NC Poet Laureate Shelby Stephenson
Thursday, Oct. 8, time, Jackson Library, Hodges Reading Room
Jason Brennan, Georgetown, “Why Most Americans Shouldn’t Vote”
Thursday Oct. 8, 4 p.m., School of Education Building, 226
Noon @ the ‘Spoon art tour
Tuesday, Oct. 13
Volleyball vs. Citadel
Wednesday, Oct. 14, 6 p.m.
Forum for AVC for Human Resources candidate
Thursday, Oct. 15, 11:30 a.m., Maple Room, EUC
Staff Senate led ‘Workday in the Sullivan Garden’
Thursday, Oct. 15, 2 p.m., Greenway (details: 6-0426)
- Can Online Education Help Refugees Earn Degrees?
- How Student Video Presentations Can Build Community in an Online Course
- Academic Social Network Hopes to Change the Culture of Peer Review
- What the Results of a Survey of Coursera Students Mean for Online Learning
- UMUC Plans to Create a Company to Help Colleges Harness Big Data
- Army restructures educational system to resemble civilian universities
- Illinois legislators scrutinize college executives' pay and exit packages
- Anthropology association task force recommends the group take action in response to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Study explores preparation and outcomes of 2- and 4-year college students
- Clifton Wharton discusses his new autobiography